-Inaugural Celebrity Chef Ski Race and Brunch to Raise Funds for Chefs’ Choice of Charity to Take Place-
Beaver Creek, Colorado (December 18, 2012) – Beaver Creek Resort and FOOD & WINE will host the second annual Beaver Creek FOOD & WINE Weekend taking place January 24-27, 2013 for four days of unforgettable food, wine and fun on and off the slopes. Set among the World Cup Mountain at Beaver Creek, the event will be hosted by Gail Simmons, John Besh, Sam Talbot, Alex Seidel, Tim Love and Spike Mendelsohn along with wine and spirits expert Anthony Giglio who will share his knowledge for creating unique and memorable food and drink pairings.
The weekend will commence with a Meet the Chefs Reception, where food lovers can rub elbows with the best and brightest culinary talent. Additional palate-pleasing events include the Snowshoe & Gourmet Lunch, Après-Ski Burgers and Beers and a brand-new event: Ski. Eat. Ski, where skiers of all abilities can conquer the mountain followed by a luxurious lunch prepared by esteemed Chef John Besh. Returning events include intimate educational seminars and exclusive Friday evening dinners at Allie’s Cabin on the mountain and Splendido at the Chateau, hosted by local executive chefs and celebrity chefs, and raising money for local non-profit organizations in the Vail Valley.
This year, foodies will get to see their favorite chefs in action in the kitchen, as well as on the slopes for the first-ever Celebrity Chef Ski Race & Brunch, which will raise money for their preferred charities. Taking place at the Haymeadow race arena, event attendees will have the opportunity to bid on one of three race spots on each chef’s team. Starting on January 1, 2013 attendees can start bidding at www.beavercreek.com. The minimum bid is $175 per person and bidding closes January 23, 2013. Following the Celebrity Chef Ski Race, competitors and spectators will enjoy brunch at the Beaver Creek Chophouse.
“The Beaver Creek FOOD & WINE Weekend is an extraordinary culinary celebration on the slopes that brings together world-renowned chef talent along with showcasing the incredible chef talent that exists in Beaver Creek,” said Tim Baker, executive director of Beaver Creek Resort Company. “Following the success of last year’s inaugural event, we are pleased to introduce the Celebrity Chef Ski Race, adding yet another exciting new element for food lovers and ski enthusiasts who can pour their passions for food and skiing into a race on the slopes and raise funds for each chef’s designated charity. This will be a not-to-miss spectator event.”
Christina Grdovic, publisher of FOOD & WINE, said: “We’re thrilled to partner with Beaver Creek to present this exclusive gathering of food and wine lovers which offers intimate access to acclaimed chefs and wine experts. I can’t think of a better way to spend a winter weekend than combining food, wine and skiing.”
Featured Chefs and Talent:
· Gail Simmons- Trained culinary expert, Special Projects Director at FOOD & WINE, and dynamic television personality and judge for BRAVO’s Emmy-winning series Top Chef. During her formal culinary training in legendary kitchens such as Le Cirque, she also contributed to a number of cookbooks and published her own memoir titled Talking With My Mouth Full in February 2012. Find her at the splendid Lunch and Learn and Cadillac Lunch and Learn seminars.
· John Besh-Executive chef and co-owner of the Besh Restaurant Group based in New Orleans. His collection of restaurants includes August, La Provence, Lüke, Besh Steak, Domenica and The American Sector. Besh will be featured at the Allie’s Cabin dinner and Ski. Eat. Ski.
· Sam Talbot-Chef, restaurateur, author, TV personality and currently the host of AOL’s GMC “Trade Secrets”. The former executive chef of The Surf Lodge and Imperial No. Nine, Talbot authored “The Sweet Life: Diabetes without Boundaries” published last fall. Sample his fare at the dinner at Splendido Guest Chef Dinner.
· Alex Seidel- Chef and owner of Fruition Restaurant. He began his culinary career at age 14 in Wisconsin, and quickly moved from the line to sous chef of Main Street Bistro by age 20. Inspired by food at a young age, Seidel was recently recognized in 2010 as one of FOOD & WINE’s “Best New Chefs in America”. See him at the Snowshoe and Gourmet Lunch.
· Tim Love-Chefand owner of The Woodshed Smokehouse, The Lonesome Dove Western Bistro and The Love Shack in Fort Worth, Texas. Love, known as a “veritable meat master” serves traditional meats and steaks as well as rabbit and rattlesnake. His burgers will again be a draw at the Après Ski Burgers and Beers.
· Spike Mendelsohn- Currently Mendelsohn is focused on his acclaimed restaurants Good Stuff Eatery and We, The Pizza, while also serving as a contributor to the CBS Early Show. His television roles also include Food Network’s Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs 2011 and before that he competed on season 4 of Bravo’s Top Chef. Dine with him at the Après Ski Burgers and Beers.
· Sommelier and journalist Anthony Giglio will top off the weekend applying his humor and expertise in pairing wine and spirits at each of the events. Wine enthusiasts can sip and sample with Giglio at the Après Ski Wine Down event.
Tickets & Packages
Individual event ticket prices range from $50 for après-ski and seminar events to the exclusive Friday evening dinners for $200, which includes a multi-course meal prepared by top culinary talent and paired with exquisite wines.
The Beaver Creek FOOD & WINE Weekend Package features a minimum of three nights of lodging and 20 percent off of FOOD &WINE event tickets. Book online at www.beavercreek.com by Jan. 15, 2013. Packages based upon availability and additional restrictions may apply.
For complete details and information about the Beaver Creek FOOD & WINE Weekend visit http://www.beavercreek.com/foodandwine or call 970-754-4636.
The Beaver Creek FOOD & WINE Weekend is presented by Cadillac and made possible through the support of sponsors Stella Artois, Clarisonic, Lindt Chocolate and Murray’s Cheese. Wine sponsors include Schweiger Vineyards, Hess Collection, Capture Wines and Michael David Wines.
###About FOOD & WINE
FOOD & WINE is the modern, stylish, trend-spotting, talent-seeking epicurean brand. Created by American Express Publishing, the luxury-lifestyle authority, FOOD & WINE includes a monthly magazine with a circulation of 925,000; digital editions on the iPad, Kindle Fire, and Nook Color; a books division; and a website, foodandwine.com, with updates on Twitter (@fandw) and Facebook reaching nearly one million followers and fans.
About Beaver Creek Resort
Beaver Creek features the ultimate ski vacation experience featuring a World Cup mountain, intimate alpine village, and legendary attention to detail. Itis home to some of the West’s most celebrated Rocky Mountain restaurants and pioneer chefs. The resort is located just 25 miles east of Eagle Airport offering nonstop jet service from 10 major U.S. destinations. Visit Beavercreek.com. Follow Beaver Creek on Twitter @BeaverCreekMtn. Like Beaver Creek on Facebook at www.facebook.com/beavercreek.
Jill S. Davison, Vice President, Corporate Communications
American Express Publishing
Jen Brown, Senior Manager, Beaver Creek Resort Public Relations
About Vail Resorts
Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading mountain resort operator in the